It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood... ¿Want to be gavinated?

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Sharing home dirs between linux and osx

Well I have repartitioned my hard drive on the macbook. This involved using the Tiger startup disk and re-installing osx. At the beginning of the installation you can navigate the menus at the top of the screen and select "Tools" or something, Disk Utility is there and you have free reign on the hard drive. I used 50gb for my "home" partition and 30gb for osx, the rest I'll allocate to linux later on eh?

Ok Well now I want to make sure that OSX is using that partition (I can see it under /Volumes/) as the homes partition. I go:

sudo ditto -rsrcFork /Users /Volumes/home/Users

And then:

sudo niutil -createprop / /users/gavin8or home /Volumes/home/Users/gavin8or

There is a way to do this with the NetInfo gui but that is too complex. At this point I cd into /Volumes/home/gavin8or and make sure everything is there.
Now I can go:

sudo rm -dr /Users
sudo ln -s /Volumes/home/Users /Users


And log out/log back in.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hunter Happenings said...

hey Gavin

Hope life is going well. Dont know if you remember me or not. But thought I would say hi.

6:57 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home